Carers Rights Day 2020- Carers Personal Bill of Rights
Hello carers, and happy Carers Rights Day 2020! The theme for this year is 'Know your rights' and to mark the occasion we have made a video focusing on your personal bill of rights. These aren't your legal rights- but they are just as important!
We all have rights- ways we can expect to be treated and others can expect us to treat them. This idea is grounded in respect for ourselves, and for our fellow humans. There are many but I have chosen 12 which in my experience are particularly relevant to unpaid carers. Check out my video to hear more about the Carer's Bill of Personal Rights. Which ones feel most relevant to you this Carers Rights Day?
Carers Personal Bill of Rights
1. You have the right to say "no" to requests or demands
2. You have the right to express all of your feelings, positive or negative.
3. You have the right to be angry at someone you love.
4. You have the right to change your mind.
5. You have the right to make mistakes and not have to be perfect.
6. You have the right not to be responsible for others’ behaviour, actions, feelings, or problems.
7. You have the right to be healthier than those around you.
8. You have the right to feel scared and say “I’m scared.”
9. You have the right to be playful and frivolous.
10. You have the right to ask for what you want.
11. You have the right to your own needs for personal space and time.
12. You have the right to have your needs and wants respected by others.
It might sound like common sense, but we know that these rights can often feel quite difficult to put into practice, and many people lack confidence with at least some of them. If you are interested in some 1-2-1 coaching to work out how you can embody these personal rights in your life, get in touch today.